Tuesday 3 April 2012

Just for the thrill of it all.

The thrill that I am talking about, is the pure absolute adrenaline rush that hit me on my first trip to Oxford street in about 4 months.  I don't mean strolling down Oxford street of an evening, on my way to be wined and dined by Mr Lips, which is always wonderful.  I mean the rush of walking into the flagship store of  http://www.aldoshoes.com/uk and laying my eyes on their spring/summer 2012 collection of beautiful shoes and sandals.  It was a sensorial over load of colours, shapes and fabrics, fluro high heels and wedges, pastel flats and sandals and a plethora of the most beautiful accessories I have laid my eyes on in a long time.  I could feel the smile erupting across my face and I made no attempt to contain it.  I couldn't, even if I tried.  I probably looked slightly delirious, but I didn't care.  It felt like a small piece of heaven.  It was the most amazing feeling that had nothing to do with anybody else in the whole wide world, apart from me.

I floated through the store stroking and fondling all the beautiful shoes, and there are so many!  My mind was spilling over with lust, lust for shoes and matching hand bags.  Shoes and hand bags that belong anywhere else asides my feet with my life style.  They had me longing for Manhattan cocktail lounges, Roman restaurants, and Caribbean beaches.  The shoes I saw deserve a better life than I can give them.  

Is that really true?  No! If they were mine they would be loved and adored for their ability to let me step out from my usual place and let me shine from the inside out.  They would be treasured for the confidence they would give me, prized for the beauty I would feel wearing them, cherished for the pure pleasure of looking down at my feet and feeling joyously happy.  

Don't get me wrong, I know they are only shoes, only inanimate objects. But oh boy they sure are pretty, pretty enough to get my heart pumping! So in the time I spent in the store on that lovely sunny care free day (kids both in school), I tried on a few different pairs. 


I tried these on.  OMG they are beautiful, they are a work of art, a joy to behold!  They are made of the softest suede.  The ankle strap and buckle is chunky and delicious and looked amazing wrapped around my star tattooed leg. (Thick ankle straps like these only work if you have long legs BTW, otherwise they can make your legs look shorter).  They are nose bleed sky high and I would class these as taxi shoes, as in, you leave your house, get in a taxi, get out and sit in a bar or restaurant, then get back in a taxi and go home!  I think this because I rarely wear heels, and I am sure if I had more practise I would be living in shoes like this all through the summer!  Wonderful, bright, fun, leg lengthening, spring in my foot stepping, rainbow coloured shoes like these, (from OFFICE)

Or these! (From Louboutin)


I could go on and on and on, but there is just not enough time or space,  but you get my drift!  So back to my magical monent in Aldo, I tried a few pairs of shoes on and decided that I needed to pay the rent more than I needed to take home another pair of shoes I can't really walk in.  So as a compromise I decided to treat myself to a pair of earrings.  This may seem like a fair enough trade off, but knowing how much I love earrings, there in laid the problem that confronted me when I came to make my choice!  I couldn't make a choice.

Twenty minutes later or so, (who was counting) I made my way to the till to pay for my choice.  Except my choice wasn't singular, it was plural, and it wasn't just two pairs of earring, but THREE and TWO pairs of amazing sunglasses that I couldn't leave without!  At this point standing at the till watching the items I had chosen being rung through, I really felt like I had shown an amazing amount of self control.  I left Aldo that wonderful afternoon walking on air, smiling in the sunshine thinking about how much my sister would love the Aldo spring/summer collection.  Thinking she would probably have the same heart palpations as me and much less self control.

It was only an hour so later when I was showing off my new possessions to Mr Lips, that I fully realised the reality of what I had done.  Those five items nearly amounted to the same price as a pair of flat leather sandals that I had tried on.   Oh dear Samara. FAIL.  Not really though, I have no regrets, none at all.  What I bought I love, all the items are bright and playful and fun, and can be quite sensible (if I wanted that kind of look). Each item can change the look of one outfit.  One pair of shoes (no matter how many butterflies you get in your tummy), will not achieve that many looks.  I feel like I have up dated my wardrobe with this seasons new trends, but without spending a fortune.  WIN! Samara is winning!

Anyway that day was thrilling, and there is definitely something to be said about time away from places or people.  You know the saying "Absence makes the heart grow fonder", and all that.  If I went to Oxford street everyday, I wouldn't of experienced that wonderful feeling of elation.  I feel like I should wait another few months until I go back again, just to get that same shopping high!  Next time I'll make sure I'll have some  serious money to burn, well it is my birthday in June.

Anyway much love as always.

Happy shopping!

Samara x





No comments:

Post a Comment