Thursday 7 April 2011

Splurge.....

I really should not ever be allowed in a shop again! If anyone sees me heading towards the doors a a store that pulls me in like a tractor beam, please stop me, cast a line, hook me and reel me in. Save me from my addiction!!!!  Well OK it 's not always that drastic, but last week I was walking past Diverse on Atlantic road in Brixton when I spotted the sale, hard not to spot, as sign in the middle of the pavement!  I went straight to the clothes that they have down stairs.  That part of the store is run by a lovely woman Lorna Jane, her label is Uma Jane www.umajane.co.uk (named after her grandmother) anyway, I love her stuff down there.  It is different from the high street normality and u know if you buy something from there you are not going to see half of oxford street or wherever wearing the same thing!

I think in the end I spent at least and hour and a half in there!  Lorna and I got talking, to put it mildly!  We spoke about kids and lack of sleep and body shape and family, mothers, daughters, exes, lovers and of course fashion.  I ended up trying on about 10 or 12 items as Lorna asked me to try things on for her to see how they looked!   She also said I have a nice decolletage!  Always good to hear a compliment.  Lorna did her job well, I left £55 of my hard earned pounds lighter, but with three dresses one of which she threw in for free! (A LBD with a bit of hot pink running through it, very cute.  To be worn abroad, well in the sunshine.... like Lisbon?!)

The first dress I chose is a maxi halter dress with some kind of animal print (i forget which!) in black and coral, so of course I love it, because of the colour, I imagined a warm summer evening having drinks with my girls (meant in slang way, not my children, and also as I have one of each!) or my TDHS, either would be fine as long as the night is warm and the conversation and drinks flow freely.  Which if I'm out with my Yummy Mummies the last two would definitely happen, not sure about the warm summer evening, but after a few glasses of rose wine it will feel like summer anyway.
The second dress I ummm and ahhhed about, because although it is a glorious colour, but it is a bit sheer.  Lorna managed to pursued me to buy it, and I have visions of myself in NYC or Manhattan, doing a Carrie Bradshaw, in a fabulous dress with bright bra straps on display!  I mean really, should a mother of two be indulging herself this much?   I think the answer is yes.  I can't remember the last time I imagined myself anywhere else but here with the children or on a family holiday (and the holiday was my most indulgent fantasies,) let alone having visions of myself looking cute and sexy in New York!  The pictures show how I would wear it if I was New York bound, orange leggings and vest and white polka dot peep toes. LUSH!

The last dress I was eyeing up was in the sale basket.  I had tried on a hundred items already and I was now fully dressed and had no intention of taking my clothes off again, because I couldn't be bothered! I held the front of it up against my chest to get a rough idea if it would fit, and decided that it would be too small.  The ever loving Lorna, when I went to pay, offered it to me for free!  So of course I took it.  The zip was broken, so it needed work, but when I tired it on at home, it was actually too big!  The picture shows the side of the dress without the broken zip!  This dress needs to go dancing as it has a really full skirt and it flares out when I spin, I love it!

No more shopping for me!  I have got the children's birthdays coming up and birthday lists as long as my arms! So remember if you see me heading into a shop and it's not a children's store, save me from myself! Also if you are floating around in Brixton or in need of a fab dress for a glamorous night out check out Uma Jane, it's worth a look.

As always, happy shopping.

Samara.





2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling, i love fashion and clothes shopping, but for me the addiction is chocolate, i can resist it. But saying that i also could not resist the Black dress with the pink band if i lived in Brixton, gorgeous.
    Lingerie Of Desire

    ReplyDelete