Wednesday 13 April 2011

Don't ever shop to make your hangover better...

It doesn't work. Well, not entirely. This is what I discovered last Friday whilst I was trying to recover from a night out with friends mid week.  I met a friend the next day and we went into Brixton to run some errands and have lunch.  We ended up in Speedy Noodle having some speedy noodles! My food was delicious. I was starving, as it was well after 1pm and I hadn't managed to eat anything as yet.  So after stuffing my face and feeling better for about 15 minutes, the nausea was starting to creep back in.  You know that feeling I'm talking about. That feeling that makes you promise to yourself that you'll never drink again.  Well I know because I've made that promise to myself many times!

So after leaving Speedy Noodle feeling slightly queasy (not because of the food, just the hangover!) I spotted H&M across the road.,  ah the joy of shopping to take your mind off things, and I did still have over an hour until I had to pick up the kids.  I bid farewell to my friend and headed into H&M Brixton with an renewed feeling of good health and a spring in my step.  (I was listening to the radio today, they were talking about new research that proves that retail therapy extends life expectancy.  I knew it!!!!!!).  Anyway, I started off looking for a dress that would be practical, not too short, pockets etc...but the shopping quickly escalated into a frenzy of oooohs and aaahs and "oh I saw something like that in a fashion magazine somewhere...."  I do talk to myself sometimes! 


One thing I did find frustrating is that now stores do not have stock rooms anymore so everything is on the shop floor.  I kept looking at dresses that there seemed to be a lot of, but the sizes were either 6's and 8's  or 14's and 16's.  Very disappointing indeed, and so when you ask if they are getting more in, they always know when their delivery is, but never what is going to be in it.  So you have to spend your time popping in and checking for what you want.  Or you give up on the thing you want all together.  It seems to me that this is a sure way of losing business.  There is no service to order anything, which would  make sense, as you spend your money and they make a profit. Rant over! I then had a pang of shopping guilt and went to the children's section and had a look for something for my daughter.  I did pick her up a T-shirt, but only after I found one for myself in the older kids section (9 to 14 years)!

So, loaded down with no less than 14 items, I made my way to the changing rooms and waited patiently in the queue, which I must say is my favourite part of shopping.....not!  On reaching the front of the queue the fitting room assistant proceeded to get into a full blown  conversation with a customer who was a friend.  Whilst this was happening the fitting rooms were emptying and the weight of the clothes I was carrying was getting heavier and heavier.  Not forgetting the hangover, at this point was in a rotten mood, but of course being stoically British I huffed and puffed but said nothing and waited until she "saw" me.

I finally got into the changing rooms and tried on all the items I picked up and decided on the yes's and the no's.  Anyway long story short, I left H&M with three dresses, a  T-shirt  and a three pack of socks! (For me and some bits for the birthday girl to be.)  I know that I bought two dresses that are the same but the summer potential for practicality are great.  The dress has huge pockets, can be worn with a T-shirt over or under, (even one of my crop T-shirts already purchased) and a cardigan. It can easily be dressed up or down and is also quite smart with the right shoes (not trainers!). It came in another colour way but I had to stop myself from buying three dresses exactly the same. The fabric is also really good as the skirt part of the dress is quite structured hiding "bits"!  So here they are.
The three dresses.


T-shirt from kids department!
 Socks!












 Happy shopping, just don't do it with a really big hang over!

Samara

1 comment:

  1. Lol..I have never attempted to shop on a hangover, id probably come home with outfits that made me look drunk! Love the blue socks!
    Lingerie Of Desire

    ReplyDelete